Do the shoes make a difference?

Discussion about unregulated Horseshoe Pitching (Picnic - Camping - Reunions - Retreats - etc)
lostsum

Do the shoes make a difference?

Post#1 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:37 pm

How much difference does a shoe make to you? I have 3 pairs of shoes,M&M specials,M&M arrows and Hi Temp stay ons. I throw a single flip shoe and over the years i think i have pitched most of the common thrown shoes. After i have pitched a shoe a few times it does not seem to affect my percentage much at all. Regardless of which shoe i pitch my percentage seems to fall in the 20% to 25%. range.

Clank

Re: Do the shoes make a difference?

Post#2 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:20 pm

Lostsum---I wish I knew, and I don't know of a scientific way to really find out. I mean--- when we change shoes and get a little better or a little worse is it because of the shoes or because of some subtle change in our pitching?

idk
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing !!!

LarryMac

Post#3 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:22 am

Clank wrote:Lostsum---I wish I knew, and I don't know of a scientific way to really find out. I mean--- when we change shoes and get a little better or a little worse is it because of the shoes or because of some subtle change in our pitching?

idk

I would say there might be some shoes better for the flip pitcher and some better for the turn shoe. If you look at shoes there is a lot of shoes that are almost a copy of the Ted Allen and I bet most of them pitch about the same. I would guess the shoe is about 10% of your game and 90% is skill. Now I'm not talking about the Wal Mart type of shoes which has a lot to be desired.

Larry Mac

DeadHorse

Post#4 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:31 am

I think shoes do make a difference to a point. However, I am like you. I can throw several different shoes and end up with about the same results.
One way I practice, is to throw a game with different shoes to see which one wins. I feel like a kid when I cheer to myself for the name of the shoes. (LOL) :O

If I throw more than 4 pairs they start bouncing of the stake after about 5 ringers. Sometimes I'll call it quits when I make all the shoes ring the stake. Funny how many times I make 3 ringers and 1 bounces off then I'll miss 1 and make 3. It goes on and on for quite some time when I think it will be over in a matter of minuets.

I'm easily self amused. tbsup
Do not forget to entertain strangers, for some have entertained Angels unaware!

Clank

Post#5 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:31 pm

LarryMac wrote:

I would say there might be some shoes better for the flip pitcher and some better for the turn shoe. If you look at shoes there is a lot of shoes that are almost a copy of the Ted Allen and I bet most of them pitch about the same. I would guess the shoe is about 10% of your game and 90% is skill. Now I'm not talking about the Wal Mart type of shoes which has a lot to be desired.

Larry Mac

A lot of shoes do copy the Ted Allens. Have you also notice the similarity of the Alan Francis Legacies and others to the older, lower cost Glories?

I gave up the Waves which was ergonomically the best shoe I ever pitched for the 1&3/4. I broke two of them within 4 months pitching and I didn't want to store up a bevy of them since they are no more in production. I did not anticipate any drop as I returned to the Glories, but my pitching is sure 'nuf down, and I can't completely identify why.

Clank

Post#6 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:24 pm

Today, I found my ringers again---without changing shoes. I changed pitches. Contrary to good training methods I suppose---I have about three different pitches. All are 1&3/4, but each one involves a different rhythm, different cadence, different internal visualization and different swing. No matter how much I try to stay with one pitch, in time I go into a slump from which I can't emerge without switching over to another pitch. And I have no assurance that the one that worked today will work tomorrow.

idk

Clank

Post#7 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:05 pm

I DID NOT CHANGE SHOES, but I couldn't find my ringers today!

idk

Clank

Post#8 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:01 pm

After meeting with Fitzgerald I have had two consecutive good, but not real good, practice sessions----without changing shoes. :D

I do not believe shoes make that much difference in ringer %. I believe that one should go with the shoe that just feels best and releases well. I use one of the less expensive, White generic shoes and do not really believe that spending $30.00 more per pair would help me that much. But some shoes are less durable than others so the more one is hitting the stake the more he might want to consider a more durable shoe.

lostsum

Post#9 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:40 pm

Have to agree Clank. Maybe i should try the Fitzgearld trick. As a fisherman i have purchased lots of lures and for a while they seem to really catch fish but i have finally figured out that the reason is that when first purchased i use them more.Think it is the same with horseshoes. Have several sets of expensive (or at least which i consider expensive) shoes and really do not know if they have improved my ringer percentage at all. Threw the Diamond double ringer shoes for years and still have several sets in my garage and think i will take them out and see if i can see much of a difference. Have never pitched in a sanctioned tournament so i can throw pretty much whatever is available. The biggest difference i can notice are the pits we pitch in. Back home in Iowa we pitch mostly in yellow clay which has mostly the consistancy of dust ,black dirt,or sand.Here in Nevada the pits are mostly small rock or pea gravel.The nice thing about backyard horseshoes is that you learn to pitch in almost everything .As i pitch a flip shoe i really prefer the sand pits and it really makes a difference in my ringer percentage. Much more than which shoes i pitch.

RandyLJ

Post#10 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:28 pm

I too have several pairs of shoes. For the turn shoe, I think the biggest difference is if the grip portion is straight or "s" curve. I can not throw a turn shoe though to save my soul from the devil himself. I started in the summer throwing the Snyder Flip Grip. The best thing about that shoe is the thumb notch. It has the same weighting as the Snyder II's but that thumb notch outs the grip at the same point every time.
U-U

Return to “"Back Yard" Horseshoes”