World tour shoes

General Discussion - What is on your mind?
lostsum

World tour shoes

Post#1 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:04 pm

Like to try different shoes and was checking out brand of shoes used on world tour. Noticed that the 4th most used brand was listed as the diamond brand but yet there are no diamond shoes listed as NHPA sanctioned.Sure i am missing something.

LarryMac

Re: World tour shoes

Post#2 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:22 pm

lostsum wrote:Like to try different shoes and was checking out brand of shoes used on world tour. Noticed that the 4th most used brand was listed as the diamond brand but yet there are no diamond shoes listed as NHPA sanctioned.Sure i am missing something.

The list shows the shoes as being sanctioned. I think you seen the no column that says they are no longer being made.

lostsum

Post#3 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:39 pm

Thanks Larry. I see that now but are the diamond shoes still sanctioned? That many pitchers using them there must still be a lot of them around.Which model are they using? The only ones that i see are the double ringers and have not used them for years.

LarryMac

Post#4 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:56 pm

lostsum wrote:Thanks Larry. I see that now but are the diamond shoes still sanctioned? That many pitchers using them there must still be a lot of them around.Which model are they using? The only ones that i see are the double ringers and have not used them for years.

http://www.horseshoepitching.com/produc ... shoes.html

This is the NHPA web site for the sanction shoes. I don't know how to make a direct link. These are the sanction Diamond shoes.
Diamond Double Ringers
Diamond Super Ringers
Diamond tournament.
Hope this helps,

mlbruem

Post#5 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:04 pm

Diamond Tournaments and Super Ringers are the ones I see being used with the Diamond tournament being most prevalent.
This is in general and has nothing to do with the Pro Tour.

They are no longer being made. I had a conversation with someone. I can not remember who. They said that Dennis
Horseshoes is possibly in the process of making a knock off of the Diamond shoes.

lostsum

Post#6 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:51 pm

The point i am trying to make is that the World tour has a list of shoes pitched at St George world tour.60 pitchers pitched diamond shoes.I find it hard to believe that 60 pitchers pitched shoes that have not been made since 1985.As a backyard pitcher i have not seen a diamond shoe pitched in a tournament in at least 15 years.

Clank

Post#7 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:49 am

Diamond tournament shoes are very much available on eBay. Also, the Diamond Double Ringers (picnic shoes) that occasionally I have run across in tournaments can easily be purchased for a very few dollars. Apparently, Diamond was a mass producer of horseshoes.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing !!!

LarryMac

Post#8 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:43 am

Clank wrote:Diamond tournament shoes are very much available on eBay. Also, the Diamond Double Ringers (picnic shoes) that occasionally I have run across in tournaments can easily be purchased for a very few dollars. Apparently, Diamond was a mass producer of horseshoes.

Like Clank said Diamond shoes are on Ebay all the time that are new.

lostsum

Post#9 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:04 am

I understand that you can still buy Diamond shoes. I am sure that somewhere in my garage i have a couple pair of them,I do not understand 60 pitchers on the 2017 world tour pitching 30 year old shoes. If they are that still that popular today someone is missing out on not making them. Shoes pitched on 2017 world tour
141 pitchers snyder easy flip
105 allen
75 dead eye
60 diamond
list continues on
Maybe i am missing something here but i cannot believe that a 30+year old shoe is still the 4th most popular shoe being pitched in the 2017 world tour.Do not even know any backyard pitchers still pitching these shoes.

mlbruem

Post#10 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:08 pm

Diamonds have been made a lot more recently than 1985. Just about every place that I have been where horseshoes are sold
there have been new Diamond Tournaments on display for sale. I have seen them pitched in the Hall of Fame tournament and in the World Tournament along with a lot of back yard and local sanctioned tournaments.

HSLegend
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#11 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:13 pm

Diamond brand pitching horseshoes were made up through about 2015. The company that made them was sold overseas and the new owner discontinued them.

The World Tournament list is faulty because it does not split out the different models of many brands, including Diamond. Of those they did list as Diamond, there were certainly Super Ringers and the Tournament Diamond models. Double Ringer model was discontinued years earlier and was more of a backyard shoe that would be unusual to see at Worlds.

There is an NHPA sanctioned replacement shoe for the Tournament model that is being manufactured as we speak and will be available in a couple months that was promoted at the World Tournament this year. There was a slight design improvement that brought this shoe into conformity with NHPA shoe specifications - The Diamond shoes were actually illegal but the NHPA looked the other way since they were the ones with the rights to the shoe at that time. :roll:

The "Competition" shoe by Omega will be available in Red, Blue, and Silver. Watch for it here in late winter/early spring: http://www.omegahorseshoes.com

By the way, Dennis' Horseshoes is a distributor of professional horseshoes and game related items, not a manufacturer. It's a great shop to pick up about any Horseshoe or game-related item. www.dennishorseshoes.com tbsup
I'm a Legend...if only in my own mind...

lostsum

Post#12 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:50 pm

Going back to the backyard pitching. Google diamond pitching horseshoes and first listing is NHPA with article ,Diamond closed plant in 1985.A 2 version of the diamond tournament were produced but are now being collected as modern day shoes,All i wanted to know was what diamond shoes the 60 players at the world were pitching.Thanks for the information but understand why there is so much confusion about the NHPA and why so many pitchers stay in the backyard. Going out to backyard and pitch shoes and forget about NHPA

HSLegend
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#13 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:33 pm

The original company called "Diamond Calk Horseshoe Company" as created by Otto Swanstrom was sold in 1983. The original plant in Duluth Minnesota partially closed in 1985 when the new owner started splitting up their newly acquired assets. The Triangle Corporation was the first buyer, they then sold to Cooper Tool who eventually dissolved the company but continued on selling the Diamond branded product line. Cooper then sold to Apex Tool, who was bought out by Bain Capital, who then sold to a company in The Netherlands", their focus being on the farrier horseshoes and tools, not pitching horseshoes.
This is all no different than other companies like G.E., Anheuser-Busch, Burger King, Smithfield Foods, etc, etc, that have been bought and sold many times ending up overseas, yet the branded name and products were continually perpetuated under their original brand. It's how business acquisitions work.

I don't know why that would cause people to have ill will towards the NHPA, who simply reported on the fate of the original manufacturer's plant (Otto Swanstrom). Otto was one of the father-figures of the early NHPA and holds a revered place in NHPA history.

The Diamonds at Worlds this year were just as Diamond as any other Diamond shoe that was ever made, since they were Diamonds (Super Ringers and Tournaments). I wish they would have recorded them under their model so that we could differentiate between the number of Super Ringers and Tournaments. But they weren't. :-|
I'm a Legend...if only in my own mind...

Return to “The Double Ringer Lounge”