NHPA Rules changes

General Discussion - What is on your mind?
HSLegend
Site Admin
Site Admin

NHPA Rules changes

Post#1 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:58 am

This year is the year to make suggestions for alterations to the NHPA rules. Last time we took suggestions and sent them in. Any burning Ideas anyone has that we can develop into a proposal?
I'm a Legend...if only in my own mind...

HSLegend
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: NHPA Rules changes

Post#2 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:12 pm

I'll start this off.

I would propose that any time "4-dead" is pitched in cancellation play, the player who pitched second and capped the first player (the harder pitch with all that metal down) will be awarded one point. The call would be "4- Dead, One Point" called by the player who capped. That player would then pitch first and the game proceeds to its completion. EXCEPTION: the final winning point of a point game (e.g. 40 points) must be scored as an uncontested ringer or measurable point (i.e., this rule would not apply to the last point to finish a "point game" off).

Rationale: 1) For over half a century the NHPA has fretted about the long marathon point games that top players tend to get into, especially at championship level play. Those games, although iconic, are in truth, only of value to the hard-core horseshoe spectator and some top players. Marathon games have been long blamed for the inability of the NHPA to draw in the general public as spectators and interest the public in NHPA membership. The lack of scoring in such high-stakes/skill games is a major criticism of the sport. 2) A single extra-long point game in round-robin play can result in long cool down periods for other players in the class. Some players dislike such games and may physically wear down prior to completion of tournament play. 3) More meaning will be added to the flip of the shoe or coin that is used to start a game. The winner of the toss may elect to pitch second in an attempt to earn a 4-dead point. In evenly matched high ringer percent competition, that choice could impact the outcome.

Note: Because of the exception, a marathon game of 100+ shoes could, in theory, occur as a player tries to score the final point and multiple successive 4-deads are pitched. Such instances would be uncommon as the game will have progressed to the final point at a more rapid pace than is currently possible under the non-scoring 4-dead method.

HSLegend
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#3 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:38 pm

I can't imagine no one else has any ideas for rules that could be changed - added - eliminated..... :?

LarryMac

Post#4 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:50 am

HSLegend wrote:I can't imagine no one else has any ideas for rules that could be changed - added - eliminated..... :?

I know this will cause a riot but I would move the 30ft foul line back to 35ft for people 70 and people over 80 could pitch at the 30ft line. I also would change the Junior age to top out at 16 not 18. Playing a 7th or 8th grade person with a high school senior or someone out of school is to much of an age difference. I know none of this will happen but it is what I would do if I could. Played in a tournament this weekend and was the only 40ft player in the A class. One 30ft player said playing with a 40ft player messed him up. I guess it wasn't enough, he still beat me.

Larry Mac

HSLegend
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#5 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:11 pm

I kinda like the 35ft and 30ft rules for elders. It is still accommodating, but would stop healthy and strong 70 year olds from toeing the 30ft line, "just because they can." There would still be the medical exemption for anyone that could not pitch 40 or 35ft to move up. But they would have to prove it medically.
(I would suggest we get rid of the "Elders" division and have a Medically Exempt division instead. If you want to pitch 30ft because you cant make 40ft due to age induced issues, get a doctor's signature and move into that group. This would reinstate the intent behind the original rule).

I understand the youth top age. And looking at it from the perspective of the World Tournament, it seems to have reason as you have these 18 year olds at 80%+ clobbering 13 year olds. But that's the anomaly, which is one of the problems with NHPA rules, they are often based on the rare anomaly, not the norm; and often not with promotion in mind. When we get new kids out to pitch who are 15-18, most boys could pitch 40 ft distance, but none of them can do anything to control their shoe and never come back. Kids that same age can have better control and higher success (FUN) at 30ft. They learn the mechanics of the game and develop skill, instead of unloading the 40ft shoe with all their strength. We've had many broken backboards from a local high school that comes out and forces all the boys to pitch 40ft. Those boys don't want to be embarrassed for not making the distance, so they over compensate and let 'er rip with all their strength. We've never had a single kid in all the years that class has used our facility ever come out to a regular tournament, let alone express any interest in joining the NHPA.
Maybe your idea of the 35 distance would be good for Jr Boys the year before they age out. It would help start them moving back to the eventual 40ft, but it still allows some give in helping new kids learn the game in a more manageable fashion...a compromise.

Write them up and send them in. tbsup

Clank

Post#6 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:01 pm

Concerning the one point for the four dead topper---I don't relate very well to those marathon games the one point is designed to move along, and so I am just neutral. Speaking for myself---I do believe I would be more apt to be drawn to a game that had the promise of being a marathon. But if most folks want it the other way that's OK. zzz
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing !!!

HSLegend
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#7 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:44 pm

Today's the day to send any rule proposals to Gary Roberts!

Clank

Post#8 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:33 pm

For what it's worth---I proposed that whenever 30 footers and 40 footers compete against each other the ringers only scoring option as described in NHPA Rules, Rule 6, section A 2 (b) be employed. :D
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing !!!

HSLegend
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#9 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:40 pm

That's great Clank. Being involved is key to making things happen.
I think your proposal has good merit. I suspect there will be some class ringer percentage cutoff put in, however, where this would not be the case. In low % classes, sometimes no one makes a ringer or there is minimal ringers and thus minimal scoring, which is not really very fun. It would certainly help with high ringer % classes though. tbsup

HSLegend
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#10 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:10 am

Here are the rule proposals I made. Some are returning from last time since those went ignored..
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HhE5DusDhQxL697NKaCashSMh84w0j8n

- I think the non-sanctioned court allowance and membership priority and levels could be the keys to unlocking our membership decline.
- The Youth Awards and Cadet Girls can be a boon to growing our youth immensely.
- The 4-dead-1 and Championship finals could revolutionize the promotion and marketability of the WT and with it, improve the common man's view of NHPA horseshoes.
- The Exempt Divisions simplifies NHPA divisions and deals with the 30 vs 40 controversy.
- Horseshoe sanction changes level the playing field.

Getting such significant changes out of the rules committee and the Council is a big step, getting through the convention is going to be challenging. Change is not always easy in the NHPA.

Return to “The Double Ringer Lounge”