"Basic" Rules?

General Discussion - What is on your mind?
HSLegend
Site Admin
Site Admin

"Basic" Rules?

Post#1 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:03 pm

NHPA rule book aside, in your opinion, what are the top most basic and fundamental rules of the game of horseshoes?

I'll start.
1- One must throw 2 steel horseshoes at a steel stake.
Next.....
I'm a Legend...if only in my own mind...

LarryMac

Re: "Basic" Rules?

Post#2 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:59 am

HSLegend wrote:NHPA rule book aside, in your opinion, what are the top most basic and fundamental rules of the game of horseshoes?

I'll start.
1- One must throw 2 steel horseshoes at a steel stake.
Next.....

2. Stakes are 40ft apart for men and 30ft for women. (Mel I'm back in the day where I liked to play.)

Clank

Post#3 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:48 pm

3. Ringers, being the object of the game, shall count more points than any other scoring pitched shoe. u_

Larry Mac---might want to restate rule 2 as following. Stakes are 40 ft away. Men can step beyond the stake 3 feet, and women can step 13 feet in front of stake from which they pitch. Or simply, men must pitch from 37 feet back and women from 27 feet back. Reasoning----Stakes, for men and women are always 40 ft. apart.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing !!!

LarryMac

Post#4 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:12 pm

Clank wrote:3. Ringers, being the object of the game, shall count more points than any other scoring pitched shoe. u_

Larry Mac---might want to restate rule 2 as following. Stakes are 40 ft away. Men can step beyond the stake 3 feet, and women can step 13 feet in front of stake from which they pitch. Or simply, men must pitch from 37 feet back and women from 27 feet back. Reasoning----Stakes, for men and women are always 40 ft. apart.

Clank you cleared that up. The was I stated the distance it looked like I have 2 sets of stakes.
Larry Mac

mlbruem

Post#5 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:24 am

Thank You - hope you feel great about the fact you would have eliminated my Dad from enjoying the game he loved for
the last 10 or so years of his life. He was never over 25% from 30 but even that intimidates you guys. Get over it and play the game.

HSLegend
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#6 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:31 am

I don't what this to be a debate over distances, but the most basic rules that make this a game.

It might help to ask a couple questions.
If one throws a horseshoe with the objective to score points in effort to beat an opponent, wouldn't distance be irrelevant as long as they are focused on the objective? I know that some people feel passionately about distance, but really, as long as those playing agree on whatever distance they are pitching, what does it matter what that distance actually was? Isn't it still a game of "horseshoes?"

HSLegend
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#7 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:56 am

anything else?

Return to “The Double Ringer Lounge”