Flag Protests

General Discussion - What is on your mind?
HSLegend
Site Admin
Site Admin

Flag Protests

Post#1 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:02 am

I wonder if organized Horseshoes can use this ridiculous Flag protest to our benefit. Not that we get any significant media, but we have a wholesome all-American sport filled with Flag loving, God-fearing people. Certainly, there are people looking for some kind of assurance that real American sports can still be found outside of major sports like the NFL, NBA, and MLB who have all now protested against our Flag and Country. I see that NASCAR has taken the opportunity to say they stand for the Flag and Country...how can we do the same?
Seems like a good membership growth opportunity.
I'm a Legend...if only in my own mind...

Clank

Re: Flag Protests

Post#2 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:21 pm

I am a 21 year veteran. But the next time I am present as the National Anthem is played---out of love for my country I may have to kneel. I never took an oath to defend the flag---but I took an oath to defend The Constitution. This is the preamble to the Constitution of the country for which our flag stands.

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America".

When our President stands up to what the flag stands for I will stand to the anthem. Donald Trump attacks the first amendment protections. He undermines the Federal courts, promotes domestic unrest, shows no concern for the general welfare of we the people or the liberties of those protesting. He demeans America before foreigners. America's welfare is last, not first, on his agenda. No doubt whatsoever---he has colluded with our enemy. He has referred to black athletes as sons of bitches---a ploy to rile up old white men, secure his base and turn our attention away from more pertinent failures on his part.

I am old enough to see plainly that flag waving does not a patriot make. And truly God fearing people recognize that God has a whole lot to say about graven images. When we stand and salute a flag without saluting the nation behind it or its values we are idolaters.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing !!!

HSLegend
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#3 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:55 pm

I am no fan of Trump either (not many are according to his ratings). But just because of that does not mean I, or any American, should dishonor the banner, the emblem of of our country that represents the best that the US stands for and the precious lives given of men and women in its defense (defending the Constitution). Not just in our lives, but from the revolution of 1776, 1812, on up to the present.
See, that's the problem with these protests, these athletes say they are protesting "X" "Y" or "Z" but in the end, by their actual actions, it is the most powerful emblem representing the USA that they are protesting against, you can't cut it any other way.

If someone wants to protest the president, go picket his rallies or the White House. If one wants to protest police, picket their stations, or better yet, go to city council meetings and actually become part of the dialog in a real way. Dishonoring the American flag and rejecting the Anthem...well, you do that, you may as well as move next door to your new best friend Hanoi Jane, because that is the company you will find yourself in.

Man, and I had thought Horseshoe pitchers were better then these fat-cat millionaire spoiled rotten football whiners. I suppose its a good thing then that the only real anthem and flag ceremony in Horseshoes is at the Worlds, just once a year, and we get minimal media, mostly just local....we'll have to leave honorable patriotic flag/anthem demonstrations to NASCAR.

HSLegend
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#4 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:26 pm

Maybe there is some hope yet... on FB tonight:
[quote=Fred Jurik]
In a recent sanctioned horseshoe tournament I attended about a week ago the flag was being raised during the National anthem. With my hat off and my hand on my heart, I will have to admit that my eyes drifted off the flag a moment and into the crowd of about 100 pitchers and spectators from six or more states. I can proudly say that not one person was sitting down or kneeling for any protest. Horseshoe pitchers represent blue collar, white collar, preachers, teachers, veterans, etc... of all races and nationalities that "GET IT"! They know what the flag is for and have enough respect for the men and women who have fought for our freedoms. Awesome group of people. Take a moment - not a knee.[/quote]

Clank

Post#5 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:16 am

God became angry with Israel when they became a people who performed rites and ceremonies without contemplating the meanings therein. There is a time to participate and a time to back away. Geo. Washington was a church attender who never partook of communion because he recognized the meaning therein and believed he should not partake. I think Kaepernick was asking us to stop and contemplate the creed to which we are pledging.

Initially the anthem protests were not about Trump---but now they are. He has made it that way. I would rather be identified with the young black man with Afro hair than with Mr. Trump.

Because of d Trump we have virtually no state department (100's of positions unfilled) to work for America's interests in the world. NATO is weakened. America is greatly divided and Americans have lost confidence in government. Putin could not have scripted it better. Yes, we should be protesting in the streets (and I have). We should be expressing outrage in every conceivable way. Normally, refraining from anthem participation is not the way to go---but these are not normal days.

LarryMac

Post#6 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:58 am

My take on all this is yes they have the right to protest by kneeling but I think it is wrong and shows a disrespect to this country. Clank you being in the service I am a little surprised at your comment. I was a little hesitate to make this post, I don't want this site to turn into a political forum.
Larry Mac

Clank

Post#7 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:21 am

What is the test of allegiance? I say it is two fold. Anyone pledging should be willing to (1) lay down his own life for America and (2) be willing to kill other people, when necessary, to defend or advance the cause of America. Let those willing to see folks die for a country led by this present administration and commanded by d. Trump take the pledge. I am not so willing and my heart truly aches for those youngsters in America's Armed Forces.

Jarhead

Post#8 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:07 am

As a Marine combat vet that served in Vietnam, I found it very disturbing to watch overpaid athletes kneel during the national anthem. I understand that they have that right to do so, but there is a time and place and that was neither. I have seen the cost of war and it it something that will be with me for the rest of my life. I personally would not want to be around anyone that showed disrespect for our flag or country. I agree with Larry, let’s keep politics out of Horseshoes, to me Horseshoes is like therapy, it takes my mind off problems. HSLegend...I don’t think too many people would take a knee during the National anthem at a horseshoe tournament. Too many players standing around with Horseshoes in their hands!
Adapt...Improvise...And Overcome...Semper Fi

Clank

Post#9 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:24 pm

OK folks---making these posts is something I have not enjoyed. Like Jarhead, horseshoes is therapy and I have enjoyed a little arena in the world that is not political.

Please don't think that I think that I am more righteous than the rest of you. But my primary motivation for speaking about the topic at hand is that I know I will face my creator at the end of my days, which could be next week for all I know. And I believe He requires me to speak at times when I really don't want to. Unless something stirs me again whoever speaks after me gets the last words.

My final words are these. The CSA did not lose the war for lack of an anthem or flag. They had a more rousing anthem than the Union and everyone knows they had a flag. Their cause was unjust. I believe in the rule of law. Obedience to law begins at the top. We have a law breaker at our helm. Legislators have many times the amount of evidence they need to act, but the party in power is too corrupt to do what is right. All the anthem singing and pledges of allegiance and flag waving will not deliver us from the corruption that is over us, and the trouble that is around the corner if changes aren't made. I view the many anthem kneelings as a very positive sign. May God bless this nation!

HSLegend
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#10 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:06 am

Clank, I do not identify with trump, nor do I identify with kapernick. It is not an either or for me. I identify as American. That is my flag. That is my anthem. This is my country. It is really that simple.

This topic was not about being political per se, but more about utilizing the innate patriotism of a wholesome all-American sport/pastime, to promote and recruit membership to the NHPA. I assumed to much about our membership now, so it would never work. As we have seen, it only takes one "kapernick" to completely destroy a once great American sport.

Return to “The Double Ringer Lounge”