Mystifying

Seek & Share tips - How to's
Clank
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 425
Contact:

Mystifying

Post#1 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:19 pm

The secret workings of the mind are incredible. A baseball outfielder hears the crack of the bat, his eyes see the beginning flight of the ball and the fielder's legs move him to a position under the ball. He wasn't born with this ability. He picked it up thru practice. At first try he couldn't do it. BUT, Almost everyone who wants to shag a fly ball can develop the ability to judge where the ball will land and place himself under the ball to the degree that his foot speed allows him to get there. He can do this even though no two hit balls are the same.

Here is what is mystifying. Horseshoe pitchers pitch at the stake. By trial and error we give our minds feedback that enable us to begin to hone in on the stake. But most of us never get as good at pitching to the stake as we could be at judging fly balls. Fly balls vary. The stake doesn't move. I just don't understand why pitching ringers is harder than judging fly balls---but it is, for most of us. idk
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing !!!

LarryMac
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 301

Re: Mystifying

Post#2 » Tue May 23, 2017 8:35 pm

I used to do a lot of bowling and wasn't too bad. In bowling the lane condition are constantly changing and you need to adjust for it. Like you said in horseshoe it is the same each pitch but it is still hard to get it right. If you get it right 50% percent of the time you are doing good. What is strange to me is I can change something just a little and it works good for a while then it stops working and I am back where I started. I didn't see this but I was told that one player in HOF tournament had 27 ringers in a row then missed the next 20 shoes and lost the game. Who can explain it!!!!!
Larry Mac

Clank
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 425
Contact:

Re: Mystifying

Post#3 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:28 pm

I keep pitching records. I had worked into a rather bad slump pitching the TA's. Around April 20 I started pitching the St. Pierre Eagles. My practice average jumped considerably---at least 5 % points. But over the days that average began to slump until my pitching was just stinking. This week I picked up my TA's again and I pitched them just as well as I was pitching the Eagles when I first started pitching them. Am I destined to always be cycling and recycling thru shoes? It beats me---my hand responds well to a new shoe and then it seems to get tired of it. Mystifying! idk
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing !!!

User avatar
HSLegend
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 735

Re: Mystifying

Post#4 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:09 pm

My experience with this is that it is sloppy play (for lack of a better word). What I mean is that you know exactly what it takes to throw a ringer (your body does). When you change up shoes, the new weight or balance or feel causes you to make a slight adjustment of some kind, and it may not actually be anything with the shoe, but that "newness" causes the "correction" in your pitching (your mind is no longer trying to regulate your body, it is focused on the new part of the equation). Now, once you get the feel of the new shoe, suddenly you lose those new ringers. Why, well, that newness that caused a correction is gone and you're back to your old habits...of which, something is not quite right (your mind is back in control and causing mayhem).

The good news is the practice has been so much that your body knows exactly what it needs to do to throw a ringer....the bad news is unless you can get your mind off of what you're doing it is going to be hard to get consistent. We've all felt that "in-the-zone" experience, well, that is when you have essentially found a way to cut off the mind's control and you just pitch ringer after ringer, almost numb to it all....mystifying indeed!
I'm a Legend...if only in my own mind...

Clank
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 425
Contact:

Re: Mystifying

Post#5 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:51 am

HSLegend wrote:When you change up shoes, the new weight or balance or feel causes you to make a slight adjustment of some kind, and it may not actually be anything with the shoe, but that "newness" causes the "correction" in your pitching (your mind is no longer trying to regulate your body, it is focused on the new part of the equation). Now, once you get the feel of the new shoe, suddenly you lose those new ringers. Why, well, that newness that caused a correction is gone and you're back to your old habits...of which, something is not quite right (your mind is back in control and causing mayhem).

The good news is the practice has been so much that your body knows exactly what it needs to do to throw a ringer....the bad news is unless you can get your mind off of what you're doing it is going to be hard to get consistent. We've all felt that "in-the-zone" experience, well, that is when you have essentially found a way to cut off the mind's control and you just pitch ringer after ringer, almost numb to it all....mystifying indeed!


So the new feel causes me to focus on one aspect of the equation while the rest of my pitching goes into auto pilot. This makes a lot of sense to me. I've always wondered about how some pitchers can focus on the mechanics and end up pitching so well instead of destroying their coordination. By focusing upon a few aspects they become unfocused on the bigger picture and free up their auto mechanism to do its job. It's uncanny how many times I have hobbled/stumbled out to my pits and pitched ringers on my very first warm up pitches before settling in to missing---and this is consistent with the idea that conscious thinking the wrong way can get in the way. tbsup
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing !!!

User avatar
HSLegend
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 735

Re: Mystifying

Post#6 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:44 am

Clank wrote:...It's uncanny how many times I have hobbled/stumbled out to my pits and pitched ringers on my very first warm up pitches before settling in to missing...

It's funny you say that. I tend to pitch a few ringers right out of the blocks too, but then I go through 100-200 shoe that I am fighting to make before I get mind-numb enough to get into my automatic groove. I'm trying to figure out how to get my mind out of the way sooner....So far I "just" need an hour or so warm up, LOL. When I get it, I pitch great, when I don't...
I'm a Legend...if only in my own mind...

LarryMac
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 301

Re: Mystifying

Post#7 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:28 am

Clank here is what you can do. Practice with one brand, them when you go to a tournament pitch with a different brand lol.

Larry Mac

Clank
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 425
Contact:

Re: Mystifying

Post#8 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:26 am

LarryMac wrote:Clank here is what you can do. Practice with one brand, them when you go to a tournament pitch with a different brand lol.

Larry Mac


I've thought about it Larry. That wouldn't stop me from choking however. Once, after a lousy tournament performance I picked up my opponents shoes---tossed them to the opposite pit and made 2 ringers. I was shocked. So I tossed them back---2 more ringers. So I kept on till I missed at #7 or #8 if my memory is correct. I think I had pitched around 20% for the whole tournament and I walked away as stunned as if I had seen a ghost. LOL :shock:

In other matters, HSLegend's explanation a few posts above really does make a lot of sense to me. I had never understood how one could focus on the mechanics without sabotaging his coordination. His notion, or my interpretation of it, that focus on one aspect (i.e. like the feel of a new shoe) takes a person's mind off the rest of his pitching seems to explain some things.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing !!!

Clank
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 425
Contact:

Re: Mystifying

Post#9 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:36 am

I went to the nhpa forum and looked up an account of when I hit all those ringers after the tournament was over. It happened in 2014 and here is my earlier recollection.

Mike Jones, Walter Sexton and maybe Irvin South of TN can vouch for me in this tale.


I struggled in the last game of my tournament in Clarksville, TN, hitting only 7 ringers in 40 pitches.


Tournament over-- I picked up my opponents shoes to give them a fling. Mike is a flipper and I am a turner. I pitched one of his shoes. It rang, so I pitched it back. It rang again. Four more pitches each rang the stake. The 7th missed, and the 8th hit.


7 out of 40 in the previous game---then 7 out of 8 with shoes I had never pitched. :o :o :o
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing !!!

Clank
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 425
Contact:

Re: Mystifying

Post#10 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:29 pm

It's as if I had never pitched in a tournament or even practiced. In March of 2012 I pitched in my very first NHPA tournament. I averaged 22.8%. By the second year I was pitching in the low to mid 30% and anticipating further improvement. Alas, in my last tournament I pitched 17% and barely 20% in my next to last, both lower than I was pitching before my very beginning. :oops:

I don't know what to make of it? I'm still pitching in sets of 100 and normally hit about 35-40/100 on my own pits. On rare occasions I will pitch as low as 23/100 or as high as 53/100. The last two tournaments were in courts I hardly ever pitch in. I just don't seem to be able to carry my game from my own courts to someone else's and sometimes my arm and hand muscles just don't want to relax.

Nevertheless, I can't wait to try again. Merry Christmas to all and may all keep on pitching! :;c|p
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing !!!

LarryMac
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 301

Re: Mystifying

Post#11 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:20 pm

Clank wrote:It's as if I had never pitched in a tournament or even practiced. In March of 2012 I pitched in my very first NHPA tournament. I averaged 22.8%. By the second year I was pitching in the low to mid 30% and anticipating further improvement. Alas, in my last tournament I pitched 17% and barely 20% in my next to last, both lower than I was pitching before my very beginning. :oops:

I don't know what to make of it? I'm still pitching in sets of 100 and normally hit about 35-40/100 on my own pits. On rare occasions I will pitch as low as 23/100 or as high as 53/100. The last two tournaments were in courts I hardly ever pitch in. I just don't seem to be able to carry my game from my own courts to someone else's and sometimes my arm and hand muscles just don't want to relax.

Nevertheless, I can't wait to try again. Merry Christmas to all and may all keep on pitching! :;c|p


Clank I haven't pitched good in a tournament in a while. I pitch most every day and average in the low 60's. I haven't had a 60% tournament in a long time. I had a friend come over and pitch in my shop today and I didn't pitch good at all, I didn't keep track of ringers but I bet it was in the upper 40"s or low 50"s. I think a guy needs to pitch with someone to help him get used to waiting and get into that rhythm. I'm going to cut back on practice and take a break and maybe a fresh start will help.

User avatar
mlbruem
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 85
Contact:

Re: Mystifying

Post#12 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:55 am

Larry I think my issue is I loose focus in a tournament. No matter how hard I try I want to look
around me to much. I have been thinking I need a pair of those horse blinders or some such invention.

Clank
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 425
Contact:

Re: Mystifying

Post#13 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:13 pm

Larry, I can't do much about having someone to pitch with---but you're comment about getting into rhythm got me to thinking. Before the last 2 lowest ever tournaments I practiced with three shoes instead of two. Previously, I had only practiced with two. Practicing with only two shoes appears like a better way to approximate the rhythm of a tournament.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing !!!

LarryMac
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 301

Re: Mystifying

Post#14 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:10 pm

Clank you and me think a lot about the same things. When I practice it throw 4 shoes and I was thinking like you I am just going to start throwing 2 and see what happens.

Return to “Techniques”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest