Making a shoe lighter

Questions and opinions on shoes and other horseshoe pitching accessories and equipment
LarryMac

Making a shoe lighter

Post#1 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:21 pm

I know you can repair a shoe by welding and grinding, we file on them any time we want but can you grind say on the top side(flat side) and make a shoe lighter and still be legal. I'm thinking like a shoe that weights 2lb 8 oz and make a 2 lb shoe out of it. If it effect the balance that is your problem. We used to race the small outboards and one rule was you could remove metal but you couldn't add metal to the engine. I would think the same thing could apply here. I took a regular shoe and milled it down for a cadet and it looked almost like a shoe you could now buy and it worked good for him. This was used in our non sanction club. What do you think.
Larry Mac

Clank

Re: Making a shoe lighter

Post#2 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:08 pm

I expect they would not be legal according to the rules---since this is altering a shoe. But I would prefer a system where any shoes that met specs were legal, regardless of how they were made or altered. I had 4 Glory Horseshoes that I pitched in sand for several years. I weighed them at about 2lb. 6 oz instead of 2. 8 oz. so I figure the sand took a couple of oz. off. Still, these shoes would be legal.

As far as the shoes you lightened for the cadet. In our state they would never be checked. At the World Tournament they put them in the jig---but I can't remember if they weigh them.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing !!!

HSLegend
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#3 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:14 pm

Are they legal? No (altered)

Could it be done and get away with it? No doubt.
I'm a Legend...if only in my own mind...

LarryMac

Post#4 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:11 am

HSLegend wrote:Are they legal? No (altered)

Could it be done and get away with it? No doubt.

I talked to the Mo. President this weekend at a tournament and that is his words exactly. Personally i think a welded shoe should be illegal. There is not a good way to weld a cast shoe that will stay and most shoes these days are cast. A forged shoe will weld and be all right. So a shoe that is wore down by playing and filing is legal but a new shoe that is ground down is illegal.
Larry Mac

LarryMac

Post#5 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:47 am

Section D – Horseshoes Sanctioned in Other Countries
Any horseshoes sanctioned in other countries may be used during NHPA sanctioned play, but only by contestants from that country, and only if the shoes meet NHPA horseshoe specifications. They are not allowable for use by U.S. citizens in NHPA sanctioned events unless the horseshoes have also been sanctioned by the NHPA. (see Section A above)

While we are talking about shoes maybe someone can me how a rule like this ever got passed. I can't believe that you can play a person from some country and he has the right to use a certain shoe but you can't. I can't believe there is another sport that would let one contestant use a piece of equipment but you can't use the same thing because you are not from that country. Can you imagine someone in a golf,tennis, baseball, etc tournament using a different club,racket, bat, etc and it would be against the rules for you to use what they are using. It has to be something about money, what about it Legend you know a lot of history.
Larry Mac

HSLegend
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#6 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:35 pm

The NHPA is afraid of scaring off Canadians and anyone else from any other country that might come to the US to worlds to pitch.

The saving grace to the rule is that the shoe must meet the specifications. In other words this rule allows shoes that are in every way built legally, but the foreign manufacturer has not paid the NHPA sanctioning fee (since they don't sell horseshoes in the US).

I understand why they did it, but at it's core it is treating foreigners preferentially and it is treating US manufacturers un-preferentially. It is all the evidence anyone needs in order to understand that the NHPA is really, as the full association name indicates (National Horseshoe Pitchers Association of America), a wholly American organization, not an international organization. Were it so, the NHPA would have one set of rules that equally applied to all, no matter their country....at least they would for the "World" championships.
I've thought for some time that this leaves the door open to develop an "International" horseshoe pitching organization that could hold a true world championship. All they need is a set of rules and money, and the people will come...the more money, the more people. Such an organization could allow ANY pitcher, backyard - NHPA - Elks - German - Namibian - Japanese - etc, no membership or sanctioned tournaments required. You just register at the percentage you think you qualify for. A quick preliminary round will weed out the wanna-bes and set up a top championship bracket. You don't even need the money that the NHPA currently puts into the Worlds. Just top load it and the best will come and pay to come.

HSLegend
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#7 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:35 pm

LOL, just re-read that post...how's that for hijacking a thread! :mrgreen:

Return to “Gear of the Game”