Pit material

Questions and opinions on shoes and other horseshoe pitching accessories and equipment
tbtxslim
Cadet Member
Cadet Member

Pit material

Post#1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:28 pm

I'm in Houston, Tx and I'm struggling to find Clay for my practice pits I can't find any in Texas. Someone told be that Baseball clay would work too but I'm unsure about that I don't think it is too firm but may be better than sand. I can get the baseball clay locally. I'm currently using a sand and top soil mix and I keep burying my shoes under 2"s of dirt all the time. I was traveling in CA a few weeks ago and the So Cal club in Orange let me practice on their pits and they were clay and i loved it. I was much more consistent.
thanks,

Clank

Re: Pit material

Post#2 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:27 pm

I tried baseball clay. I do not recommend it.If there is a perfect moisture level for red clay I wasn't able to find it. Either too hard or too sticky! Your sand and topsoil mix is probably better.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing !!!

mlbruem

Post#3 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:39 am

The World Tournament is going to be in Texas in 2019. You may want to contact the organizers and find out where they plan on getting the clay. Could be possible they would have a good source locally.

garwha

Post#4 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:05 pm

It is likely that every club tournament you pitch in Texas will be on sand, so I would suggest you practice pitching on sand. There are four sanctioned pits in the state, and they are used in the A class tournaments at the Arlington club between Dallas and Ft Worth Texas, which is a good ways from Houston. Of course the World tournament will be on clay when it comes to Texas in couple of years. If you can drive a pick up to that tournament you might be able to get the used clay for free, they usually give it away towards the end of the tournament.

garwha

Post#5 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:07 pm

I meant to say four sanctioned clay pits.

Clank

Post#6 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:30 pm

garwha wrote: If you can drive a pick up to that tournament you might be able to get the used clay for free, they usually give it away towards the end of the tournament.

Shazaam garwha, thanks for telling me. I will be in South Carolina with my pick up. :D
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing !!!

HSLegend
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#7 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:24 pm

That all depends on the Clay. We had people lined up to buy clay after St George this year.
I'm a Legend...if only in my own mind...

Return to “Gear of the Game”