Types of Horse Shoes

Questions and opinions on shoes and other horseshoe pitching accessories and equipment
Hos
Cadet Member
Cadet Member

Types of Horse Shoes

Post#1 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:33 pm

What type of horse shoes should I get. I'm not quite a beginner but not a pro by any means I need something that will last a few dings in the pit but something that will also cater to my high flip toss. Any suggestions would be great!!!

Thanks

Kyle Hosler

HSLegend
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Types of Horse Shoes

Post#2 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:12 am

Kyle, you might look at a shoe called the "Wave" that has a unique toe cleat that I would think might serve your high flip well.
If you like a more traditional toe cleat then take a look at the Snyder shoes like this one with reversed toe/heel cleats. Image

You can pick up a pair from the NHPA distributors here: http://horseshoepitching.com/products/sources.html
I'm a Legend...if only in my own mind...

Clank

Post#3 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:08 pm

The Wave is also a good turn shoe. I pitch a 1&3/4 turn. I have found it easier to make this pitch with the Wave than with any other shoe I have tried thus far.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing !!!

HSLegend
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post#4 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:48 pm

I was wondering if that wide corner blade on the toe might lend itself well to a 1 3/4. I like a wide blade myself for that turn.
I'm a Legend...if only in my own mind...

Clank

Post#5 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:20 pm

I believe the wide corner is a help, but when turning this shoe it is important to be consistent with the spiral tilt. A tilted spiral will catch air and cause the shoe to fall short relative to a level spiral. In other words the pitcher needs to be consistently pitching either a level or a forward tilted spiral, else he will be pitching long and short. And I suppose this is true of all shoes, but most true of wide bladed shoes.

Clank

Post#6 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:41 pm

The Wave does not appear to be of soft metal (mine never nicks) but it does appear to be a deadened shoe. It hits the stake with a clunk, not a ring or a clang. It doesn't bounce off the stake as frequently as its bulky interior edge led me to believe it would.

horseshoequeen

Post#7 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:46 pm

I would like to try the wave shoe, I haven't seen it before. I like the Synders and Super Ringers. U-U

RandyLJ

Post#8 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:54 am

I use the EZ Flip II. I like the feel and weight. I wished it had interior offset hooks similar to the Grabbit, (yes I have a pair of those) I have tried shoes with a breaker like the first generation EZ flip, but the breaker point is right where my grip goes. Any ideas?

garwha

Post#9 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:09 am

I just got an opportunity to spend some serious time pitching M&M's newest product the M&M Arrow, and what a great pitching shoe. It claims to be the most balanced shoe in the line with a two side cleats, and it pitches flatter than any turn shoe I have pitched, and I pitch M&M Specials normally. What's most unique about this shoe is it is designed to perform as well as a flip shoe as it is a turn shoe. The nice thing about this is should you decide to change your pitch in a year or two, you won't have to switch shoes. This dual function ability also is very desirable in league doubles where you must both pitch the same shoe. M&M is one of the great shoe builders. They also build the M&M flip which is one of the greats as well. The Arrow http://www.kent.net/horseshoes/products_us_arrow.html

RandyLJ

Post#10 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:03 am

Very interesting shoe that M&M Arrow. I will see if the supplier here in texas has a sample pait at one of the tour's so I can try them out. Boy will I have the collection. :lol:

garwha

Post#11 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:16 am

I think you are talking about the Murphy's, Ron is having problems getting their products, has complained to me about it. I expect to be at the March 7th tournament in Buffalo, and can bring a pair with me if you want to try them there, and I will be there on Friday. You can PM for personal information.

RandyLJ

Post#12 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:18 pm

Can't make that tourn. I am in the DFW area if you are pitching up here ever.

garwha

Post#13 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:40 am

If you haven't been to Buffalo you need to do it. This is the nicest facility in the State, with Waco a close second, and it is only about a two hour drive. Friday night a high low draw cash doubles tournament, good food and beer, it's worth the trip alone, and there are close to a hundred already signed up for the Saturday regular tournament. Several pitchers from DFW will make that tournament if you want to share a ride. You could travel with me if you want, but I will camp on the grounds, and will be there by 4:00 on Friday. They also have RV parking, and hookups.

RandyLJ

Post#14 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:12 am

ARGGG. I have heard that it a great Tourn. I will have to wait for a tourn later in the year maybe.

Clank

Post#15 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:32 pm

Legends, Gordons, Ted Allens, Dead Eye Easy Grips, Dead Eye DF Clydesdales, Diamond Tournaments, St. Pierre Americans and their newest shoe (name eludes me) are the only tournament level drop forged shoes I am aware of. Have I left any out? u_

Return to “Gear of the Game”