sanctioned or non-sanctioned

Information and discussion about all Leagues (City, Knights of Columbus, Elks Lodge, Taverns, NHPA, etc...)
RandyLJ

sanctioned or non-sanctioned

Post#1 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:14 pm

First of all, I love league play. I am a competitor. I see leagues as a way to grow the sport. I see those clubs that have non-sanctioned leagues are larger than those who have only sanctioned league play. Sanctioned league requires strict attendance. So many people can not commit to 6+ weeks in a row. This puts people off and they do not come back.

What do you all think.

Clank

Re: sanctioned or non-sanctioned

Post#2 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:54 pm

I wish I had the option of choosing between leagues. I live in a town of 60,000+ and I can't find one sole person that I can get into horseshoe pitching. Nearest pitcher is 55 miles away.

Maybe I could run a radio spot---For locals only---$5.00 to pitch against me and $50.00 if you win. It's worth $50.00. I would even let the other person win if he wasn't good enough to beat me, and I thought his winning would encourage him!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing !!!

LarryMac

Post#3 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:41 pm

Clank wrote:I wish I had the option of choosing between leagues. I live in a town of 60,000+ and I can't find one sole person that I can get into horseshoe pitching. Nearest pitcher is 55 miles away.

Maybe I could run a radio spot---For locals only---$5.00 to pitch against me and $50.00 if you win. It's worth $50.00. I would even let the other person win if he wasn't good enough to beat me, and I thought his winning would encourage him!

I like the idea of the $5.00 and win $50. promotion! I will run this by our club this year. Clank what kind of guidelines would you use?

Larry Mac

RandyLJ

Post#4 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:37 pm

One would think that there would be a lot of people that would be interested. You would have to go through your local Parks and Rec to get a location once you have some members. I have thought about doing that in my town. I have a sanctioned court in my backyard and could start it there. I have enough room to add a second court. That could handle 8-10 people with 2 games on each court and score keepers. Then I can approach the city to see about having them build some courts at the local park. There is enough room at this park to easily put in 20+ courts. I do not see that happening, but there is enough room.

Clank

Post#5 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:22 pm

Larry---as far as guidelines--For myself, I would decide
1. how much money I could afford to loose. Let's say $150.00. Then, I offer $50.00 to the first three folks who can beat me in a game to 40 pts.
2. Limit participants to Madison or adjoining counties.
3. Limit wins to one per person.

Instead of going to the radio I might consider making some handouts and just giving them to friends and other folks to pass around. I'm very beatable, but if I get no takers then I offer $25.00 to anyone that can score 20 points in a game to 40.

But March is upon us. I don't have indoor pits. So All this might need to wait until the weather gets drier. Sanctioned pits is out of the question. But I would need to find something of a public location and get permission to set two oak blocks with stakes in the ground long enough for the contests. u_

LarryMac

Post#6 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:46 pm

Clank what works pretty good is to weld a triangle shaped plate on your peg about 6 to 8 inches below ground level. Kind of like a metal fence post only much bigger. Somewhere about 10 to 12 inch triangle would work good. This way you can drive it into the ground without digging up a lot of dirt. I have used this method a lot and it works good.

Larry Mac

Clank

Post#7 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:35 pm

I think I know what you mean. Any suggestions for pulling that stake back up. I used to have a stake puller that I made that worked pretty well on tomato stakes and fence stakes, but I broke it.

garwha

Post#8 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:57 pm

For temp. stakes, I use 1" x 36", eyeball the tilt, drive into the ground with a sledge hammer, and pull it with an 18" pipe wrench by screwing it out of the ground, it works great, and will stay in place all day, even in most sand.

LarryMac

Post#9 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:42 pm

Clank look up stake puller on the internet and you can come up with a lot of ideas. I have used a old type car bumper jack with a chain.

Larry Mac

LarryMac

Post#10 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:34 am

garwha wrote:For temp. stakes, I use 1" x 36", eyeball the tilt, drive into the ground with a sledge hammer, and pull it with an 18" pipe wrench by screwing it out of the ground, it works great, and will stay in place all day, even in most sand.

That is exactly how I do it also for temporary stakes, pipe wrench and all. I paint the stake 15 inches down and just drive it in to that mark.

Larry Mac

RandyLJ

Post#11 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:06 pm

Coyce makes some really good stakes. I took 4 2x8 x 2' and used screws to make them into a block and the mounted the stake. Really easy to set a stake. The angle is already set too. A bit pricey @ $80-100/pair, but well worth it. Coyce may make a deal for multiple stakes.
Attachments
New stake.jpg
New stake.jpg (229.21 KiB) Viewed 1975 times

MrGreengenes

Post#12 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:20 am

Non sanctioned leagues out number sanctioned leagues for a few reasons. Back yard and tavern players don't want to shell out $25-$30 dollars for a card to stick in their wallet. Then shell out another $30 or so for league dues when they can just go drink beer and have fun w/ their buddies for a few bucks in a non sanctioned bar league. Another reason is that a lot of guys have never played anything but doubles and they like to have that partner on the other end in case they don't do well it isn't all on them. In singles your real game is exposed for all to see, a lot of egos can't deal with that, Ive had many guy's at non sanctioned doubles events ( hardly any non sanctioned singles tourneys or leagues to be found) tell me that they throw 60-70 even 80% which is usually about double what they really pitch.

DeadHorse

Post#13 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:32 am

Non sanction leagues give lots of flexibility with some sort of organization.
Clank, I like your idea about the money give away and most definitely understand your disappointment with not finding someone to pitch with. I don't know what to tell you. Are Horseshoe pitchers like gay people? Few and far between and Afraid to come out of the closet. (LOL)

Randy, I do something similar with my stakes but I run the stake through the plate metal about 4" and weld only the stake to the plate. There is no need for the extra cross supports. I insert the 4" into the crosstie to help absorb the impact. It cuts down on the vibration. I haven't had any issues yet.
Do not forget to entertain strangers, for some have entertained Angels unaware!

Return to “Horseshoe Pitching Leagues”